OPTIONS is a supported living program for persons with learning disabilities. It is about planning for Life. Originated in the USA then United Kingdom in 1980s/90s, the concept is based on clear values that -
Each person is a unique individual
- Each persons is a unique individual
- Have their own likes and dislikes
- Will want to make certain life choices of their own
- Most individuals will need some form of support throughout their lives to lead an independent life
- Future Life Planning should start now with full involvement from families
- It is a fact that parents as carers will not be around forever.
Young adults who have just left school or about to leave school
The AIM :
- To teach them skills in decision making in planning for their future
- To help family members to begin planning proactively
- To offer counseling and support to enable parents to 'let go'
- To create a team of highly skilled support workers
- To raise public awareness
- Sharing our values on philosophy with other communities